Thursday, September 29, 2016

Pan-Fried Fish with Veggies

**The following recipe was shared by Family Health & Harmony Guest Contributor, Sue Nivens** 
_________________________________________
Here's a little about little ol' me!
I love long walks on the beach, and I drink a lot of coffee! LOL 
Growing up, I was very blessed to have both parents and grandparents (on my mother's side) who cooked and farmed their own veggies. I have been blessed to know the difference between fresh veggies picked straight from the garden and purchased produce from a grocery store. I prefer fresh veggies, but life often calls for the convenience of bringing them home from the store.
Growing up, I was not into cooking at all. Why?! I had breakfast, lunch and dinner prepared for me FRESH everyday! My parents, yes mom and pop including grandparents (when they were alive) would always cook breakfast for my four siblings and me. We always had elaborate meals no matter what time of day. Cereal was strictly for dessert. It may sound weird, but I loved it! Fruity Pebbles and Fruit Loops were my favorites.
I have always been a very picky eater, which is how I got into cooking. I am the girl that orders a good burger with NO sauce, no salt on my fries and extra ice in my HI-C. While I do like sauce on my burger, I just like to put it on myself and I hate a messy runny burger; the bun should never be drenched, thank you very much!  
I wasn't taught to cook with tablespoons or measuring cups. My cooking is based on "eyeballing," and tasting my food. I believe that food is a beautiful form of art! I love to be creative and make my dishes that look like you've just ordered them from a five-star restaurant. Don't get me wrong, food that isn't the most aesthetically pleasing sometimes ends up being the BEST thing EVER! I like to create and spin-off dishes that my husband and son love! I'm all about re-creating.
Here's the kicker: I hardly ever eat my own dishes. I taste as I cook and I'm normally full by the time plating is complete. My family is my passion and food is theirs. That is why I do what I do!  
The meal that I have selected to share with you is a traditional meal in my Thai and Laotian culture. It is called "Pan-Fried Fish with Veggies," or "Taht Bah."
Bon Appetite! 


Pan-Fried Fish with Veggies
"Taht Bah"
Prep Time: 20 Minutes   |   Cook Time: 60 Minutes   |   Total Time: 80 Minutes
Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • Rice, prepared
  • 5 pieces Fresh or Frozen Tilapia*
  • 4 stems Green Onions
  • 1 carton Cherry Tomatoes
  • 1 Roma or House Tomato (sliced in long pieces)
  • 1/2 to 1 Bulb of Garlic (to your preference, I love me some garlic!)
  • 1/2 Red Onion
  • 2-3 tbsp Olive Oil
  • Seasonings (just a sprinkle of each and keep tasting and adding as you go): 
    • Garlic Salt
    • Fresh Coarse Black Pepper
    • Cayenne Pepper
    • Parsley
  • Optional: Oyster Sauce, Sriracha & Fish Sauce. 
      • I grew up eating this dish with all three sauces. If you decide to use Oyster Sauce and Fish Sauce, use about 1/2 tablespoon of Oyster Sauce and 1 tablespoon of Fish Sauce. I buy brands that are made in Thailand. If you do not like Oyster or Fish Sauce, you can use soy sauce, but NOT Kikoman)

*Tilapia can be substituted for any white fish that is firm, like Catfish. Fresh or frozen fish can be used; I prefer fresh.

Directions: 

1. Pat dry the fish, set aside. 
2. In a wok style pan or non-stick skillet, drizzle olive oil and heat on HIGH. 
3. When pan is hot, drop each filet of fish and let it sit on high for about 3 minutes. It's okay if the fish is overlapping. 
4. Season fish with the dry seasonings. I eyeball everything, so if I had to estimate, about 2 sprinkles of each. Be careful! Fish should never be over seasoned-especially over salted.

5. Now the fun begins! Let's building the pyramid. Start stacking the veggies you have chopped, sliced and diced. The order of the stacking is important in my opinion.
-Red onions
-Tomatoes
-Green onions
-Garlic

6. Cover and change the burner to low for  20 minutes. 

7. After 20 minutes, tear down that beautiful pyramid and move the veggies to the side of the pan with the fish peeking through in the middle. If you prefer that your veggies are soft, you can cook them a little longer. When they are soft, the whole dish almost turns into a thick sauce to pour over the rice. DO NOT MOVE THE FISH. Let it stay at the bottom while all of these wonderful flavors marry and become one! 
This is the perfect time to taste your dish. The flavor is becoming a combination of the seasonings and the natural sweating (ha-ok) from the veggies. 
8. Cover. Check occasionally to see how the veggies are cooking down.
9. After the 20 minutes, turn the burner to medium. Cook   covered for another 10 minutes.
10. After 10 minutes, turn off the burner-keep it covered. 
11. Let sit for 10 more minutes, then serve over your preferred rice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

The information on this website has not been evaluated by the FDA and is not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent, or cure any disease.

By accessing or using this website, you agree to abide by the Privacy Policy. Content may not be reproduced in any form.